30 September 2015

Callan McCoy

If you have read this post then you already know that I went past my due date. But here are the events that lead up to his birth.
So I had a doctor appointment on Sept 15th were I was already 40 weeks and 6 days. Ugh nobody really wants to go over their due date, I was miserable to say the least. So in talking to the doctor, we decided it was best to be induced (the one thing I was trying to avoid.) He placed the order and said that they (the hospital) would call and tell me the day they wanted me to come in.
I didn't hear anything from them, so the next day I gave the hospital a call. The nurse on the phone said that we were first on the list of people to bring in the next day! umm yeah that would have been nice to know.  She also said to give her a call if we had not heard from her by 10am

So the next day was Thursday (Sept 17th), and 10 am came and went without a phone call from the nurse. I did as she said and gave her a call. She said they were waiting for patients to be discharged and that we should be able to still get in, but to call if I had not heard  from her by noon.
I called again round 2pm, the nurse I talked to this time was not so nice basically she said she didn't know when they could get us in and she didn't know where the lead nurse was.
I called one more time around 4pm and this nurse this time said it was very unlikely we would make it in today. There had been atleast 3 women in labor that had walked in within the past 10 min or so. She asked what was the latest time that we would be willing to come in. My response was anytime, she said even if its the middle of the night, I said yes!

Friday morning (Sept 18th) arrives and we still had not heard anything. I decided I would just wait to see if they would call, after all we were at the top of the list. My parents were heading over to Seattle to be there for Peter's blessing the next day. I was a little apprehensive to have our little one with my mom out of town but knew that my sister would be there if I needed her.
I was sitting at the kitchen table and decided I would call around 1pm to see if there was any news about when we might be able to come in. It was 12:30 when the phone rang. It was the hospital. It was FINALLY our turn! I jumped in the shower then had some food (was told by the nurse to eat before I came in) Mark got all the stuff into the car and we were on our way.
I was nervous, I had never done this before but kind of knew how the procedure went.
  • We got to the hospital around 1:45-2pm and they got us into a room and all checked in.
  • 2:30pm-3pm: Got examined and was 2cm dilated, Dr broke my water (which baby was not a fan of) Pitocin was started
  • 5:00pm-5:30ish-- I could not take the contractions any longer, when the nurse came in to check on me she could tell I was not doing so well. I decided to go for the epidural. It was truly amazing once it was in an working, The doctor checked me right after that and I was at a 5 which she said I got the epidural just in time.
  • 7ish-- I was at about 8 cm and they said I would be pushing by 9:30pm
  • about 10pm the nurse had me give a few pushes to see how things would go, she thought it would only take a few and little man would be out. We waited for the Doctor to arrive.
  • It would be another hour and 45min before we would meet our little one.
Turns our his head was positioned off to one side which made it harder for him to come out. Luckily I didn't have to have a C-section, I was so focused on pushing that she just let me.
 So arriving right at midnight and after a hour and 45 min of pushing:
 
 

 
Callan did have some trouble keeping his temperature up so he also had to stay under a heat light for a little while. The nurse didn't want to give him his bath til he could regulate his temperature better. Then when he finally had his temperature under control his bilirubin kept going up. So because of that we ended up having to stay an extra day. He also ended up losing 10 oz while we were in the hospital so they were a little concerned by that.
Callan under the bili light, He did not like it at all!
But we did have a nice view.
 Due to construction that was going on at the hospital they had to move us rooms. So at 5am a few hours after giving birth we were moved up to the pediatric floor.  We were in the frog room.
After all the craziness it was definitely nice to finally bring Callan home!
 

No comments: